Physiotherapy For Kids
Many people are aware that physiotherapists can help adults, especially with movement issues. This includes treating a range of conditions such as sports injuries, joint pain, and musculoskeletal conditions as well as chronic health conditions such as diabetes, obesity, osteoarthritis and stroke. However, not everyone is aware that a physiotherapist can also help infants, young children, and adolescents. We all want the best for our kids, and that’s where Wisdom Physiotherapy excels.
So, what does a paediatric or kids physio do?
Paediatric physiotherapists can help children reach their full potential and achieve optimal physical development. Paediatric physiotherapists are experts in child development and understand specific conditions that are likely to adversely impact babies and growing children.
Kids have different physical characteristics, ways of moving, and ways of thinking when compared with adults, so paediatric physiotherapy sessions are tailored to each child and are generally conducted differently to adult sessions. Through fun, family-centred, and play-based strategies, physiotherapy helps to assist children’s movement functions to perform as best they can.
We pride ourselves on making therapy as fun and functional as possible, helping children to learn about their bodies and understand why certain exercises are important to help them achieve their goals. This is the approach whether your child has a temporary condition or injury and needs rehabilitation to recover or if your child has an ongoing issue and could benefit from a longer-term approach to support their development.
Your child’s treatment will be of the highest standard, and may include hands-on physiotherapy, information and support to parents and caregivers about the child’s condition and how they can improve, and providing follow up activities or exercises to do at home or school that will help your child’s progress. This will aid in their growth and make it easier for them to fully participate in social, athletic and educational activities, and enhance their confidence and overall quality of life.
We can also recommend adaptive equipment and aids to help your child access and engage in the most important activities.
- Wisdom Physiotherapy offers Pilates and Clinical Movement Therapy specifically designed for children, which is a great way for kids to keep fit and active while also promoting healthy movement patterns. Research has demonstrated that early intervention can improve outcomes for children with developmental difficulties. Make an appointment to see one of our friendly, highly skilled paediatric physiotherapists if you have any concerns about your child’s movement and development.
- Chronic pain and fatigue
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Gross motor delays in babies to adolescents
- Growing pains
- Hypermobility and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy, autism, cystic fibrosis, down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, and other genetic conditions
- Plagiocephaly and torticollis
- Sporting injuries
Call us to make an appointment with one of our experienced children’s physio’s in Nedlands Call (08) 6389 2947 or click here to book online.