Elite Headache Care
Neck Tension & Headaches can literally be a pain in the neck!
Frequent headaches can be debilitating and can stem from a variety of causes, such as joint or muscular dysfunction in the neck, poor posture, and emotional tension. At Wisdom Physio, we understand how disruptive these headaches can be to your daily life. That’s why we offer a specialised approach to treating and preventing headaches that are caused by neck dysfunction.
Our experienced physiotherapists are equipped with the knowledge and expertise to address the underlying causes of your headaches, helping you to avoid them in the future. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a headache-free future.
What is a Cervical Headache?
Cervical headaches are headaches caused by abnormalities in the neck and head region. The cause of headaches can be referred from the upper cervical nerve roots, segments of the cervical spine which can irritate some of the sensory nerves. Headaches can also be caused by trigger points in the neck and head muscles.
These headaches may present as:
- Pain & tension in the neck
- Pain, ache & pressure in the forehead and back of the head
- Tension in the temple and jaw area
- Pain that is made worse with sustained and repeated postures and movement of the neck
- A headache with a feeling of light headedness or dizziness
How can Physio help my headaches?
Physiotherapy treatment can assess and treat any abnormalities found in the joints, muscles and neural structures. As well as education on posture and work practices.
- Posture correction – Recommendations via specific exercises, posture awareness techniques, taping or a posture braces
- Stretching – Stretching of the neck and shoulder muscles can help alleviate headaches.
- Stress and tension management – Identification and reduction of the sources of stress and tension need to be incorporated. Often this leads to tightness in the upper back and neck muscles.
- Soft tissue work and massage – Your physiotherapist may use various massage and techniques to help release the muscles in your neck and upper back.
- Dry Needling – Dry Needling is the placement of very thin needles into specific locations in the body, it is very effective to help alleviate headaches.
- Ergonomic assessment – A poor chair, a desk at the wrong height or computer at the wrong angle may result in poor posture contributing to neck strain. Your Physiotherapist can advise on office and workplace set up.
- Decrease Neural Tension – Abnormal neural tension can also contribute to cervical headaches. Your physiotherapist will assess this and provide appropriate exercises as needed.
What Results Should You Expect?
We take a comprehensive approach to assess the cause of your headache. Not only will we examine any musculoskeletal factors that may be contributing to your pain, but we will also identify any other triggers that could be causing your headaches. Our goal is to educate you on all the possible causes and provide you with effective strategies to manage them.
If your headache is caused solely by neck pain, we have found that many patients experience immediate relief after their treatment. However, depending on the severity of your headache and the underlying causes, it may take a few days or weeks to fully resolve.
At Wisdom Physio Claremont, we go beyond simply treating the symptoms of your headache. Our physiotherapy treatment addresses the root causes of your pain, helping you avoid future headaches. Our aim is to provide you with the tools you need to lead a headache-free life.
To make an appointment with on of our headache physios in our Claremont clinic, call us on (08) 9384 1555 or click below to book online.