Pregnancy is such an exciting time, but can also come with alot of questions about your body, and why it aches in areas it never used to. Physiotherapists can help you with all your questions and provide treatment to give you relief, physiotherapy treatment is safe during pregnancy.
Physiotherapy can help with many pregnancy related issues such as:
- Back pain or neck tension
- Rib pain
- Sciatic pain
- Hip discomfort or tailbone pain
- Pelvic girdle or pubic symphysis pain
- Any other muscle or joint problem you maybe experiencing (e.g foot pain)
- Pregnancy related wrist conditions such as Carpal Tunnel or De Quervains tenosynovitis
- Pelvic floor education and strengthening
- Urinary incontinence or vaginal prolapse
- Exercise programs – strength and conditioning preparing for delivery and the postnatal period
What You Can Expect
Our initial one-hour assessment allows us to take a thorough history of your pregnancy and all the factors contributing to your area of concern. All assessments are conducted in a private and supportive environment. We have a pregnancy pillow, so if required treatment can still be done very comfortably with you lying on your stomach or your side.
Your assessment and treatment with a physiotherapist may include some or all of the following:
- Hands-on manual therapy such at trigger point release, massage and mobilisations
- Education about why you are having this issue and how to manage it during pregnancy.
- Explanation about the impact of hormones and posture on the body during pregnancy and how physio can help alleviate this.
- Assessment and education on your pelvic floor to minimise problems including pelvic floor pain, incontinence and prolapse. We can teach you how to lift your pelvic floor correctly using real-time ultrasound so you can see how your pelvic floor lifts.
- Prescription of support/compression belts or leggings if required
- Advice on when to use heat vs ice
- Modify activities and positions you should avoid to decrease your pain
- Information about using a TENS machine for pain relief during birth
- Introduction to Clinical Pilates
- Home exercise program
Clinical Pilates during pregnancy:
Our Clinical Movement Therapy (CMT) programs incorporate clinical pilates exercises to address your whole body. CMT positively affect your whole body through the improvement of strength, mobility, posture and movement control. It can help to prevent common pregnancy complaints such as hip, pelvis and back pain and can assist the abdominal muscles to regain their original strength and function after birth. Our physiotherapists create a personalised program that is specific to your needs and it is regularly reviewed and adapted throughout your Pregnancy.
Benefits of Clinical Pilates during pregnancy include:
- prevention of lower back & hip pain
- improved balance, strength and posture
- assists with injury prevention and weight management
- upper body strength (for all those late night feeds!)
- establish/consolidate a healthy lifestyle
- strong muscles that you need to use for pregnancy, labour, and newborns
- getting your body ready for childbirth and improved recovery time post-birth
- pelvic floor and deep abdominal muscle strength
Following an initial assessment, you can join any of our group classes (3-4 people) as all clients receive an individual program, alternatively private sessions can be arranged – and may be booked easily online.
It is a good idea to check with your GP before commencing any exercise program and we recommend you have an initial assessment with our Women’s Health Physiotherapist Amy Tinetti before starting to check your pelvic floor muscle activation and strength.
About six week’s following birth, if you would like to bring your newborn along with you, we also have a class just for ‘New Mums‘.
To get started on Physiotherapy and/or Clinical Pilates during your pregnancy, simply click here to make a pregnancy appointment or call us on (08) 6389 2947.