Are you pregnant and suffering from pelvic girdle pain – pain around your pelvic area?
What is pelvic girdle pain?
Pelvic girdle pain is a group of signs and symptoms of pain in the pelvis and lower back area, this can include pain in the perineum, pubic symphysis and the upper thighs (front or back).
Why do you get it during pregnancy?
There are a variety of reasons women get this pain during pregnancy these include:
- Increased stress on ligaments due to weight gain during pregnancy
- Inadequate strength and coordination (motor control) to cope with pregnancy changes
- Changes in posture during pregnancy
- Frequent pain provoking actions
- Relaxation of the pelvic ligament and increased joint mobility during pregnancy
Factors influencing pain during pregnancy?
Evidence suggests some physical and psychological factors may increase your risk of developing pelvic girdle pain these include:
- History of previous low back or pelvic pain
- Trauma of the back or pelvic area
- Increased number of previous pregnancies
- Higher levels of stress
- Physically demanding work
- Low job satisfaction
What can a Women’s Health Physiotherapist do?
Our number one goal is to help you reach your goals. How we do this, is to have a very holistic approach, looking at all aspects of your life. This includes:
- Thorough subjective and objective assessment (current and past history)
- Assessing posture, muscle strength including pelvic floor activity
- Modifying your daily activities to help reduce pain
- If indicated measure you for a pelvic girdle brace to relieve the pain
- Introducing exercise and stretches which will help your body relax
- Trigger point release, massage and/or acupuncture to reduce muscle tension around painful areas
To make an appointment with our Women’s Health Physiotherapist, call (08) 6389 2947 or click here to book online.